Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Barcelona, Spain - Antoni Gaudí

Casa Batllo

Antoni Gaudí (1852-1926) was a Spanish architect famous for his Art Nouveau, or Modernist, style. He deviated from traditional design by incorporating flowing, natural angles into his buildings. Barcelona is filled with many buildings of his design. Below, I have 3 examples of Modernist style. The first two by Gaudí and the third by Lluís Doménech. Gaudí's unfinished masterpiece, La Sagrada Familia, will be dealt with in a later post. It's unfinished because, during construction, he was run over by a tram and died two days later. Here is a better description of his work, which I found on the web...

Gaudi's work was greatly influenced by forms of nature and this is reflected by the use of curved construction stones, twisted iron sculptures, and organic-like forms which are traits of Gaudi's Barcelona architecture.

Gaudi also adorned many of his buildings with coloured tiles arranged in mosaic patterns. This added another important dimension to his buildings which is so often overlooked by architects - the use of colour.

Casa Batllo



Casa Milá



Palau de la Música Catalana

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual, nice photo's. Casa Batllo has interesting architecture. Very nice you give information with your photo's, keep up the good work!

Lauren said...

so which one do you live in?

Anonymous said...

Great shots. Have you gotten up to Park Guel? I remember the mosiac seating area and throngs of tourists like it was yesterday.

Monkey

Devastatin' Dave said...

Over worked,

I entertain and teach. That's what I do.

Lauren,

I split time between the first two and attend operas at the third.

Monkey,

Been to Park Guell once. Of course, the pictures I took there were on my laptop that got stolen. I'm sure I'll go back again for more pics.