Friday, May 18, 2007

IBM Meets The Twilight Zone

Rod Serling

The Bundy Mansion

You're probably wondering what IBM has to do with The Twilight Zone. Well, let me tell you. I had to drive from Alexandria, VA to Quincy, MA via St. Clairsville, OH.(It's a long story) Anyway, I wanted to avoid the NJ-NYC area, so I detoured through Binghamton, NY. Binghamton was the childhood home of one of my favorite writers, Rod Serling. He was the creator of The Twilight Zone and Night Gallery, two unique and revolutionary TV shows.

Before leaving, I did an internet search in the hopes of finding a Rod Serling museum. Unfortunately, one doesn't exist, yet. This is where IBM comes in. Binghamton was also the home of Harlow and Willard Bundy. Willard invented the first time-recording clocks to record employee work hours. (Punch the clock, worker bee!) His brother, Harlow, manufactured and marketed the clocks. This company evolved into IBM. Serling is said to have "imagined time," Barlow is said to have "marketed" it.

The Bundy mansion is run as a museum; showing off an ornate, Gilded-Age, 14-room house. Those that run the Bundy mansion plan to open a museum in honor of Rod Serling in the house next door. Although the sign said the Bundy mansion was open from 11am-5-pm, it was closed, so I couldn't get a tour. Since I had some time to kill I drove around central Binghamton and took some pictures. There were quite a few interestingly designed churches.

I then stopped at the Lost Dog Cafe to grab some coffee. I ordered a Guatamalan Antigua. The beans were freshly ground and the coffee was prepared and served in a 14oz. French press. It was delicious. It had a hint of grape flavor in both its aroma and taste. Quite enjoyable. I didn't order food, but the plates I saw being served looked fantastic.

By the way, a suggestion to Upstate NY: Dump NYC and Long Island immediately. You are two completely different worlds. Do you really think that Hillary would be your carpetbagger Sentator if not for the NYC and Long Island vote? Yeah, neither do I.


Future home of Rod Serling Museum

St. Michael's Church

This guy means business

Crumbling RR overpass


Once upon a time at the Lincoln Hotel...

Looking up the Chenango River from a downtown bridge

The Lost Dog Cafe is housed in the bottom right corner of this building

Two steeples against a cloudy sky

This church design has an Arabic flavor

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Lincoln Hotel looks real classy, your sort of place...

Devastatin' Dave said...

I'm sure they used to charge by the hour.

beamis said...

Yeah but I'm sure overworked & underpaid is a real patriot----a minute man!

Anonymous said...

Why pay by the hour, if you can pay by the minute, time is money!

Anonymous said...

Nice photo's DD. How wonderful to see different architectural buildings in this country that will last a long time too, compared to much of the mid and west of the country that has cheap wood framed houses and little variation of architecture.
It must be nice to see, after being in Europe and seeing old beautiful buildings.

Anonymous said...

Is there a pile of rubble I am missing for that Arabic flavored church?

Devastatin' Dave said...

Ernie,

Sorry to disappoint, but "Shock and Awe" has not yet reached Binghamton, NY.