Friday, July 13, 2007

Busting My Chops in Bridgton, ME

That's Durf in the window

A couple days ago I got into Bridgton for a much needed haircut. I stopped at an old-school barber shop on Main St. called Durf´s. Durf was born and raised in Bridgton. I sat down in the chair and Durf asked me how I wanted my haircut. Below is a paraphrase of our conversation. Durf has a standard Maine accent, which, to me, is a milder form of a New England accent.

Me - Taper it on the sides and back. Maybe use a #4 or #5...

Durf - Wait, wait. This ain't no beauty parlor. I ain't got no 4s or 5s. I got my clippers, my comb and I use my fingers to measure hair.

Me - Ohhhh-kayyyy....uh, just taper the back and sides and take some off the top.

Durf - What you're tellin' me is that you want a man's haircut.

Me - Yes.

With Baal as my witness, I was expecting to leave that place looking like Forrest Gump or Karl in Slingblade. It turns out that I got an excellent haircut that has prompted unsolicited compliments. Here's to Durf and my $10.00 haircut!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So where's a picture of this haircut, to go along with the story then?

Devastatin' Dave said...

All galmour shots will be made available through my agent.

beamis said...

I go to a real old-fashioned barber shop in downtown Kissimmee, Florida where they also charge $10 for a cut. It is strictly a mens place and I like the sights and sounds which remind me of my childhood.

My wife doesn't really understand why I choose this place and we nearly had our first fight when she sent me to her stylist (a woman) who had scented oil, new age music and started our session with a shoulder rub. When I got the tab for this spa treatment I nearly freaked out. I told my wife that I wanted to have a more male oriented haircut experience, which I think hurt her feelings, because she accused me of not appreciating anything nice. I told her that I don't own enough hair for the money that salon charged me!

I found the present barber shop I patronize by accident and have been blissfully getting my "man's haircut" ever since. They even have a cool book in the cramped waiting area about old-time barber shops across America. I think someone should make a directory of all the real barber shops left in the 50 states. They're a national treasure.

Durf's looks like my kind of place.

Anonymous said...

What's a 4 or 5? Is that the Flowbee?

You should have badgered him until he yelled, 'What are you some sort of queer?' and threw you out. Tell him you want the Ashton Kushter.

Please post some pics DD, I don't have much.

'Stone Works' said...

I hear you Beamis, I used to go to a 'mans' barber shop when I worked in London, it is just a different atmosphere from these so called trendy places and you do get a decent cut too. Women will never understand us!
Do you live in Kissimmee? Have they rebuilt Gatorland yet?

Anonymous said...

I side with you Beamis. Though I enjoy the female hair cut experience...there are times when I could really go for the "man's haircut" as DD describes it.

'Stone Works' said...

I got it, the men's barber shops should hire female assistant's to rub the client's shoulders, while they wait for the "man's" haircut.
TYe best of both world's!

beamis said...

To 'stone works'----Gatorland is rising again!

maorlando said...

Long live the Barber Shop and the man's kind of place... my husband still prefers it and I am thankful.
Here is a link to a photo of one in Waller, Texas that is still open.
Enjoy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16489083@N05/6734316801/
Have a blessed day!!
maorlando