Monday, August 03, 2009

Fort Williams Park, Cape Elizabeth, ME


After a quick stop in Portland yesterday for fish n chips, I headed south across the Casco Bay Bridge to Cape Elizabeth. I followed the signs for Portland Head Light, which took me to Fort Williams Park. There are three distinct elements of the park: The lighthouse area, the military structures and the Goddard Mansion.

Portland Head Light


One of the earliest American lighthouses and one of the most photographed.


Portland Head Light


A ghostly lighthouse in the distance


Who is this Annie Maguire?


Don't strain your neck


Ah-OO-gah!!


Cove near the lighthouse


Whistle House


(Click on it to enlarge and read)


The Goddard Mansion


I'm fascinated by structures, such as this, that have fallen into disrepair. The original owner transferred the property to the military(bad move) when the area became a fort and it was used for married housing. The basement was used as an Officer's Club. I apologize for the inordinate number of pics of the mansion, but, like I said, I was fascinated.














Military Structures


Battery Erasmus Keyes


Pop Culture


I think a scene from Hostel was filmed here


Battery Blair


Central Power House

2 comments:

ernie the slow adult said...

What are the campers doing while you're eating fish & trips and drinking?

Devastatin' Dave said...

I just told them to wait in the van while I took some pics. I cracked the windows.