Sunday, July 25, 2010

Downtown Phoenix

The Rising Phoenix

This afternoon, I took a stroll through downtown Phoenix to photograph the architecture of the various buildings. It's a mix of old and new, classic and modern, beautiful and ugly.

I parked in front of the County Courthouse and took off on foot. It was a robust 108º and soon I was sweating like Moses Malone. By the end of my walk, I was drained like a Larry Bird 3-pointer. If Gage and DeSoto had come upon me, they would have ordered IVs of D5W and Ringers Lactate. STAT!

Anyways, enjoy the pics!


New School -


Ugly and hive-like


U.S. Airways Center - Home of the Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury


Bank of America - a good looking building


Chase Field - Home of the Arizona Diamondbacks


The Phoenix Convention Center


Futuristic


The Arizona Center


Fountain at City Hall


Old School -


The Art Deco Luhrs Tower


Brick and stone


Classic hotel


The Westward Ho


More Art Deco


The Arab flair of the Orpheum Theater



Maricopa County Courthouse


Very Spartan


Churches -


St. Mary's Basilica


Imaculado Corizón de Maria


First Presbyterian Church


Bonus Section - Gutted Gothic: I came upon this by accident. It's the historic First Baptist Church, which is now overseen by the National Park Service as an Historic Building.


The First Baptist Church lies in disrepair


Sky through the stained glass frame


The gutted interior complete with eroding balcony pillar


Offices are closed!


View from the rear


Beat up belfry and roofless

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brick and stone -- those apartments or offices?

Devastatin' Dave said...

I think mostly offices. There were a lot of "Office Space for Lease" signs in the windows.

ernie the slow adult said...

Great blog DD, I feel like I live there!

Anonymous said...

you know I know the cousin of Randolph Mantooth...LOL d5w and ringers lactate STAT

SKeeter