Sunday, March 25, 2012

Quito, Ecuador - Vol. I

My hostal in Quito - El Cafecito

This past Friday, I returned after an eight day vacation to Ecuador. I spent half the time in Quito and half in Cuenca, both cities in the Andes Mountains. Quito is at about 9200' with Cuenca at about 8400'. I chose Ecuador for a few reasons: scenic beauty; to immerse myself in the Spanish language, which I'm teaching myself; and its reputation as an inexpensive destination. Well, it wasn't as inexpensive as expected, but at least the hostals were cheap.

My flight from Houston to Quito, which was supposed to arrive at about 9:30pm, was diverted to Panama City, due to an accident at the Quito airport. A military plane lost its nose gear on landing. So, I didn't get to El Cafecito until 2 a.m. I slept until late morning and then ventured out. On Saturday, I concentrated on two neighborhoods - City Center and La Mariscal, where El Cafecito was located.
 

 El Cafecito -






City Center and La Mariscal -
















No comments: