Friday, August 24, 2012

Mumford & Sons Concert - Laramie, WY

Exterior of Gryphon Theater

On Monday evening, I rolled into Laramie to visit my old friend, Alec, and attend the Mumford & Sons concert on Tuesday night at the Gryphon Theater. (pron. "griffin") Alec is the Executive Director of The Laramie Plains Civic Center, which houses the theater. The Civic Center, now a multi-use building, used to house the Laramie High School.

I'm not gonna lie - Alec worked me like a rented mule. In preparation for the concert, we arrived at 6 a.m. on Tuesday morning and finally got home around 2 a.m. early Wednesday morning. Luckily, I can do the work of two men and a boy. It was all worth it as the concert was outstanding. Two very good opening acts followed by Mumford & Sons - one of the better acts in music right now.


The 900-seat theater

The famous murals

More murals

Unloading the gear

Setting up backstage. Tight quarters

Sound board

Entrance to the Gryphon Theater

Stairway to the balcony

The line starts to form

The throng waiting for entrance

The North Gym, aka the bar

Sunset over Laramie

BONUS VIDEO:

1st Video: Slow Club, the opening act
2nd Video: Nataniel Ratliff with help from 2 members of M & Sons
3rd Video: Mumford & Sons

(My apologies for the video quality, but I was only working with a Sony point-and-shoot camera.)





3 comments:

Alec said...

I must admit Dave you did do the work of two men. Thanks for all your help...true friends are there when they are needed...Right Roper? Anyway, you tell me who you'd like to see next and I'll book them for you. Thanks again for the great post...wish we would have had more time to visit...but we'll see you soon.

Fluffer said...

wtf is a Mumford anyways?
sheesh

Nancy said...

Hey Dave, What a beautiful place and cool venue for a concert. I love Mumford & Sons!