Sunday, December 17, 2006

A Note From the Publisher

Big bro and li'l bro

First, thanks to all of you who visit our site. Special thanks to those who leave comments, they’re always welcome. We’ve had a lot of fun putting it together. Traveling can be tough duty. For the most part, we’ve kept the posts informational and educational, however, some of you have inquired as to my thoughts and feelings on the particular places we’ve visited and living in Spain, in general. I will share my thoughts with you below.

A couple of you have asked why I'm not in any of the photos we’ve posted; more specifically, “Would it kill ya to be in one of the pictures?” Yes, yes it would. Actually, these are stock photos and we’re not really in Spain. It’s all been a ruse. Seriously though…Speaking for myself, I don’t photograph well, so I prefer not to have my picture taken. It’s also my way of preventing my spirit from being stolen. Plus, do you really want my mug cluttering up photos of these nice landscapes and buildings? C’mon, it’s a no-brainer.

Living in Spain has been a mixed bag. Barcelona is too crowded. In spite of its rich history and architecture, it’s just too densely populated. Maybe that is why some of the older folks are a little cranky. The only analogy I can make is that if you put too many animals in a confined space, they start to snap at one another. This could explain my perception of old, Spanish women here in Barcelona, which I can only describe as Hobbesian – nasty, brutish and short. I guess Barcelona falls into the category of “it’s a nice place to visit, but…” In addition, it’s really expensive to live here.

With that being said, I’ve really enjoyed my brief time in the small coastal towns of Nerja and L’Escala. These towns are laid back and quiet. I guess that should be expected when you’re soaking in the sun and breeze of the Mediterranean. It also seems as though the older folks in these smaller towns and outlying areas aren't as cranky. Maybe this lends credence to my analogy above.

I also like the quaint city of Granada. Quaint by European standards – about 300,000 people. Even more people when you consider all the college students and tourists. However, it has a much better feel than Barcelona. Also, any place of note in Granada is within a 15-20 minute walk. And, if you like warm, dry, sunny climates, then Granada - and most of Andalucía - is for you. I would definitely say I prefer Granada to Barcelona.

When I left the States in late June, I was planning on living abroad in Europe for a few years, but that has changed. We are in Barcelona thru next May and then return to the States. There are a few reasons for this. Not having a European Union passport is a killer. It makes it difficult to find work, to get your own apartment and to acquire residency. Basically, we're "illegal aliens." The large cities are too crowded and expensive for my tastes. So, I'm basically going to chalk up my 11 months in Spain as a learning experience. I'm just going to take it easy, do some traveling, learn some Spanish and do some writing. I still have a desire to live abroad in the future, but it will probably be a smaller country in Central or South America. Ecuador looks very appealing.

11 comments:

'Stone Works' said...

Thank you for sharing some of your experiences and thoughts of Spain.
Please continue to do so, in addition to the factural information, it is a great insight to the places you visit.
Now, how about some input from 'lil bro then...

Audie said...

Great post, Devastatin'. I've enjoyed them all, and always look forward to the next one.

Feliz Navidad!

Anonymous said...

Do not sell yourself short DD. You are a strong and handsome man! I am sure your life partner in the photo feels the same way.

I highly recommend South America. If you can get a US salary down there do it. Being in Rio or Buenos Aeries was the only time I felt halfway decent looking in my life.

Anonymous said...

Dave you guys should look at central america. Went to Belize this summer. They speak English and they have a great transportation system. $11 will get you on a bus from one end of the country to the other. I would spend 6-12 months just checking out the Mayan ruins. Rents cheap also so is the chow.

Devastatin' Dave said...

Studman,

If I go to Central America, it will be in search of the elusive chupacabra. Who knows, they could be hiding amongst the Mayan ruins.

I've actually heard good and bad about Belize, but will look into it. I've also heard good things about Costa Rica and Guatamala. From what I've read, however, Ecuador has the most lenient residency and citizinship requirements.

Anonymous said...

Arr, Guatamala, my favorite belnd of coffee.
Yeah, you would need a country with lenient requirements, to let someone in like you!
What is Matt's plans, try down south too or stay in the States?
What would you like to do, should you live in South America, become a hermit, a book writer or a broker?

Anonymous said...

It just goes to show you Ernie, our border controls are still useless, if they let you back in the country after your vacation...

Devastatin' Dave said...

Ya know, I'm really upset with my audience. Not ONE of you has made some jackass remark about the fact that Matt and I are dressed the same in the picture. You guys are really slacking. Let's do better next time. This is NOT a license for vulgarity or crude remarks in future comments. Just looking for a few good jabs here and there.

Monkey's Max said...

DD, I was going to send this in an email, but I found that I no longer have an address for you that works so this is my only option.

DD,

The first thing I noticed was that you and Matt were dressed the same, but I only just looked at your blog this evening, so you had already made your own comment.

I was sorry to read that you are heading back to the US. I absolutely understand the problem of not having an EU passport. I curse the EU all the time because things used to be so much easier here back in the good old days. Amongst other reasons.

However, I just want to say, and Monkey might say the same - if you would rather not go back to the US, consider going farther east. You can still get work visas to teach English in post communist countries, even the EU ones. I don't necessarily know what the salaries and conditions are, but you've got time to do your research if you're interested. I've got contacts in several countries, so please let me know if I can help that way.

Merry Christmas to you and Matt.

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence, you guys are wearing the same clothes, what are the chances of that happening!

Anonymous said...

DD, may be worth looking into the Cheq Republic....