Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Grandeur of Spring


In 1912, Japan presented the U.S. with a gift of cherry trees. (It is not known if the Japanese asked for their gift back after the unpleasantness of August 1945) First Lady Taft and Vicountess Chinda of Japan planted the original trees around the Tidal Basin near the Jefferson Memorial. Today, there are more than 3700 cherry trees that grow around the Tidal Basin and on the grounds of the Washington Monument. Most of the trees are of the Yoshino variety, a favorite of the Japanese.

Predicting when the buds will bloom has become an art form that is undertaken by the NPS Regional Horticulturist. Today was considered to be the first day of the peak bloom period that is expected to last through April 6th. It was a beautiful day - temps in the mid 70s, clear blue skies and an occassional breeze that produced flurries of white and pink blossom petals.

Normally, I add captions to my pictures, but there are only so many ways to say, "Hey, here's a picture of a cherry blossom." Anyways, enjoy them and click to enlarge them to get the full effect.

















18 comments:

Anonymous said...

i) Very nice picture's and making me dead jealous knowing that you are doing absolutely nothing out there, while I am locked away in an office, living the American dream, yeah right!
ii) Why not start a new blog? Seems a bit strange putting picture's of here on your Spanish blog. Have a new blog called something like "Lazy bum in America".

Devastatin' Dave said...

Overworked,

Keep the dream alive!(while killing yourself)

Maybe I'll change the name of my blog and resolve it that way. The only thing is that I don't think I can change my URL. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Anonymous said...

What could possibly make you write about this? I think they gave the trees to replace the ones that Washington cut down to make his dentures.

Anonymous said...

i) DD, you can change the URL too.
ii) Ernie, remember, he is bored and wishing he could be back in an office 'living the dream' just like us!

Anonymous said...

When are you going to write about American Idol? I like Blake. He's the best since Clay Aiken.

beamis said...

With all those blossoms in the Tidal Basin it sure looks like it could use a courtesy flush.

Audie said...

Nice pics, DD. I grabbed the third one as my new desktop/wallpaper.

Like you, I am living the American undream right now, too. Doing lots of running at Wash Park (trees just starting to blossom there, as well) and watching plenty of baseball. Sigh.... Sucks.

Audie said...

LOL.

Hey, Bemis, if your excrement smelled like cherry blossoms, there would be no need for a courtesy flush!

Devastatin' Dave said...

Beamis and Audie,

I can always count on you guys to reduce my posts to scatological humor. That's why you're my friends.

Devastatin' Dave said...

Ernie,

Less American Idol and more GED study time.

Devastatin' Dave said...

Overworked,

My new blog title is in effect. I didn't go with "Lazy Bum in America," because that describes about 75 million people. I'll change the URL when the next post goes out.

beamis said...

Audie you're always busting on my excrement!

Anonymous said...

Nice work DD! I guess "Lazy bum" really relates to politicians of this country and Ernie too, of course!

Anonymous said...

Great timimg DD, the media must of known you were out and about, as there was a brief mention of these trees blossoming at this park last night on the local news here. Most trees are still bare here :(

Devastatin' Dave said...

Overworked,

I got lucky. It rained overnight and knocked down some of the blossoms. Timing is everything.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave! I forgot to give you my email address. Sorry it took so long...puppy@woh.rr.com

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Fantastic pics. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Come on you lazy git, when's the next posting, your fans await?
Ernie is probably beside himself, waiting to see if you'll finally add an American Idol post.