Monday, July 20, 2009

Augusta, ME

The State Capitol

Now I know why Augusta is referred to as "Disgusta." For the life of me, I've never seen so much vinyl and aluminum siding. One of the most drab and boring cities I've ever seen. I desperately sought out an old section of town with regal stone and brick houses, but none were found. Is it asking too much to at least have a porch on a house? There were numerous houses with a flat front and a small stoop leading to the front door.


The Kennebec River looking upstream


The Kennebec River looking downstream


St. Augustine Catholic Church


This is an historic building. No, really...


...see, I told ya.


Contrast in brick and mortar


siding! SIDING! SIDING!!

Bastiat vs. Keynes. Bastiat wins, of course.


Disrepair


Them's some big doors


Choo-choo underpass


Finally, a decent looking building


Blight on the Kennebec

7 comments:

ernie the slow adult said...

Do you have any more pictures of the young girls?

Devastatin' Dave said...

Sorry, Ernie, only one per year for you. You know how you get when you're off your meds.

ernie the slow adult said...

Any thoughts of doing a look back on the Blizzard of '03? Perhaps you could have a spot where the readers chime in on it as well?

Devastatin' Dave said...

A retrospective? Hmmmmm... perhaps.

ernie the slow adult said...

What if you had the young girls comment on some of your pictures?

Anonymous said...

Devastatin', are you feeling more grumpy than ususal? The town doesn't look so bad too me.

Devastatin' Dave said...

I was being generous. I spared you guys pictures of neighborhood after neighborhood of white and light blue-sided houses. Also, pictures of aimlessly wandering, dead-eyed mouthbreathers covered in tattoos and piercings wearing sleeveless t-shirts. Only my expert editorial skills saved my readers from the total despair of Augusta.