Sunday, July 26, 2009

Portland, ME

U.S. Customs House on Commercial St.

I had the day off today, so I went to Portland to hang out. The foggy, misty weather was appropriate for this New England port city. Old Port is the section of town I like to go to. It's close to the waterfront and filled with shops and bars and restaurants. Although there are a few modern buildings scattered about, most of Old Port consists of older brick buildings with a lot of them being warehouse type buildings.

Rí Rá Irish Pub

I've been sampling the fish n chips in Portland. I've been to Dry Dock Restaurant and Tavern, Gilbert's Chowder House and Rí Rá. Gilbert's weren't that good and the most expensive of the three. Dry Dock was a good value and tasted good, but had the smallest portion of the three. Rí Rá is, by far, the best of them. Fresh haddock dipped in a beer batter that was light and crispy. And, of course, a 7&7 to wash it down. One of better orders of fish n chips I've ever had; almost on par with the order I got at a Britsh pub in Gibraltar.


Pub


Bar and restaurant section


Why have one bar when you can have two?


Door to the bar-only side


Fresh haddock with beer batter


That meal didn't have a chance

Old Port


View down Commercial St.


Corner of Moulton St. and Fore St. looking north


View up Exchange St. from Fore St.


I want a cop to chase me down this


Wharf St.


Commercial St. near the piers


Simplicity and symmetry

The Waterfront


The Wharf


Not many boats on the water today


Wharf warehouse


Boat with lobster traps

Java Net Café


My hangout in Old Port on Exchange St.


Good atmosphere.
Similar to FoJo Coffee Works...but with customers.

(Ohhhh, snap!)


Dessert

3 comments:

ernie the slow adult said...

Portland looks nice. It's been a while since I've been there.

Can you work down on the docks?

Devastatin' Dave said...

Sure, you wanna be a stevedore and wear a peacoat and knit hat? Or, do you like the full on yellow slicker outfit?

ernie the slow adult said...

I prefer option 1 but do not think I'm in a position to be particular. I'd take it if they strapped me to the front of the boat for good luck.