Friday, December 11, 2009

Epic Roadtrip, Vol. II

Old school ads in Findlay, OH

I left Fostoria at 4pm on Tuesday to avoid that nice little storm that hit the Midwest. I headed south towards Cincinnati to gain some warmer temperatures; from there, it was on to Louisville. I headed south and west from Louisville through western Kentucky and Tennessee, crossed the Mighty Mississippi at I-155 and finally stopped at a rest area on I-55 in Arkansas for a 2.5 hour nap after 11.5 hours of driving. It was dark during this stretch with a lot of rain and high winds, so no pics. After my nap, I dropped south to I-40 and then to Plano, TX, via Little Rock and Texarkana. Another 9.5 hours of driving and I was exhausted when I reached Dave and Kathryn's in Plano.

After another 2.5 hour nap, I was treated to Jameson & Coke and hummus with sliced cucumber, carrot sticks and bread chips. I was then treated to one of the finest New York Strip steaks I've ever eaten. Tender and juicy and cooked to a perfect medium rare. Grilled asparagus and a baked potato were also included. The night ended with copious amounts of red wine. Many thanks to Dave and Kathryn for their Texas hospitality.

On Thursday morning, I headed southwest to Las Cruces, NM, via Abilene and El Paso, TX. After a night at the luxurious Motel 6, I'll head to Phoenix and arrive there on Friday afternoon.

(enlarge the pics for full effect)


Dave and Kathryn's


Ft. Worth skyline from Rte. 121


An old motel in Clyde, TX


A drive-in in disrepair outside of Sweetwater, TX


Sweetwater Business District?


Windmills and cotton fields


West Texas sunset...


...and another one


The coup de grace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice photo's DD. Nice house your friends have there in TX.
Have you already got your own place in AZ or staying with friends for now?

Devastatin' Dave said...

Staying with friends. Hope to find something in the next few days.