Sunday, December 27, 2009

Phoenix Mountains Preserve

The trailhead

I had a leisurely, low-key Christmas this year. I awoke somewhat early and, after breakfast, spent most of the morning reading and listening to music while sipping on coffee. Around noon, I headed to the Phoenix Mountains preserve in north-central Phoenix to hike to the top of Squaw Peak. It's a 1.2 mile hike from the trailhead to the summit and I'd say it's a moderately strenuous hike. The trail is mostly jagged and rocky, so it can be slow going at times. It's gently rising switchbacks until the .6 mile marker when it becomes increasingly steeper. Once at the top, you have vast views of the Phoenix area.

I'd like to point out that the rules of civilized society still apply on a hiking trail. So, when I come to a halt and press myself against a rock face to allow you to pass, that should prompt a "Thank you" from you. Just throwing that out there. This polite convention leads to a light-hearted moment later on.


Gaining elevation from the parking lot

Some of the usual suspects were seen on the trail:

Inconsiderate, old guy with trekking poles
Wearing-way-too-much-cologne-while-hiking guy
Hyper-kinetic, teen boy with overprotective father
Shirtless dude with manboobs
Trail runners (too crowded for this)


Rock vs. sky

Now, for the light-hearted moment. On the hike down, I came up on a young woman and her mother. I thought they were speaking Russian, but wasn't sure. Then we caught up to an old couple, whom I also thought were speaking Russian. The young woman and the mother were passing the old couple and the old man heard them talking.

Old Man: Russki?
Mother: Da!

So, this foursome stopped on the trail and began conversing in Russian. As they were doing this, they moved to the side to let me pass. Not only did I thank them, (proper, civilized etiquette) but I thanked them in Russian, which drew a surprised smile and chuckle from the young women. It just goes to show you that by just practicing basic politeness, you can advance American-Russian relations - even on a trail in the Sonoran Desert.


Getting closer...


The rare Eff You! cactus


View towards northwest Phoenix


View of Camelback Mountain


Holiday cheer near the summit


End of the road

No comments: