Monday, September 06, 2010

Roosevelt Lake and the Tonto Basin

Gassing up the truck in Jake's Corner

From Payson, I backtracked a bit towards Phoenix and went south on Hwy. 188 into the Tonto Basin and towards Roosevelt Lake. Roosevelt Lake is a man-made reservoir formed by the damming of the upper Salt River. Tonto Basin drains the Tonto Creek area which originates near the Mogollon Rim. Roosevelt Lake consists of the lower Tonto Basin and the upper Salt River Basin.


Backwaters of Roosevelt Lake


I bet there's some good bass fishing in there


Coral pink hillsides slope down to water's edge


The Sierra Ancha Mountains to the east of the lake


Roosevelt Bridge from Hwy. 188


Roosevelt Dam


Boats under the bridge

3 comments:

IRNO sammichartiste said...

I guess this is like Jericho and the pics were taken after all the bombs went off?

Tom T. said...

Was there a dam guide?

Devastatin' Dave said...

Tom - I didn't see a dam guide, but I did see some dam tourists.