Monday, September 27, 2010

Zion National Park

The East Temple

Zion National Park is my favorite place in the U.S. I worked there as a seasonal ranger in 1990 and 1991 and I try to visit there as often as possible. It's a geologic wonderland of Navajo red sandstone and the effects of water and wind erosion. I'll let the pictures tell the rest.


Mighty canyon walls


Towering rock formations


Rock within sand


Sand within rock


The saddle portion is an itinerant waterfall


A huge Ponderosa pine soaking in the late September sun


View from the itinerant waterfall. You can see the dry wash below


Slot canyons everywhere


Iron deposits on top of sandstone


Found this hiking up a drainage. Hope it isn't a headstone


Wind and water shape the rock


Oak Creek Dorm. My humble abode for two seasons

1 comment:

Andrea Lankford said...

Thanks for the pics. Brings back memories although they all seem to be from another lifetime.