Sunday, December 26, 2010

Camelback Mountain

Approaching my nemesis

Yesterday was my 2nd annual Christmas Day hike. Last year, I hiked Squaw Peak and this year it was Camelback Mountain. Instead of waiting until mid-day to hike, like last year, I got an earlier start. I started from the trailhead at about 8:25 am with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid-50s. There are two ways to summit the peak and I took the Cholla Trail, which is on the east side of the mountain.

The trail starts as a series of switchbacks up a moderately steep slope. This alone is a pretty good workout. The first two-thirds of the hike is like this. Then, you crest a ridgeline and this is when the fun starts. Not only does the trail get steeper, but the majority of this section of trail consists of scrambling over rocks. Good times. It took me about 50 minutes to summit, where I took a 20 minute break to drink water and eat some cashews. The return hike to the trailhead took me 40 minutes.

It was a very pleasurable hike and a good workout. My hips, thighs and glutes were a bit sore this morning.


OK, let's start hiking


Gaining elevation


Overlooking the East Valley


View to the south


View to the north


Cresting the ridgeline


A steep dropoff along the ridgeline


Looking north from the summit


Resting hikers on a breezy summit


View of Squaw Peak from the summit


Christmas on the summit

No comments: