Saturday, February 05, 2011

Lake Havasu City, AZ

Arriving in Lake Havasu City


A couple weekends ago, I took a day trip over to Lake Havasu City on the AZ-CA border. They were having a hot air balloon festival, so I decided to check things out.


London Bridge - Yes, that London Bridge. The Brits were replacing the London Bridge and it was bought by an American. It was taken apart and shipped, stone by stone, and reassembled here in Lake Havasu City. After it was reassembled, a canal was dug from Lake Havasu to Thompson Bay to provide the water under the bridge. It's the 2nd most popular tourist attraction in Arizona, with the Grand Canyon being the 1st.


London Bridge dedication


The London Bridge from the pedestrian mall below


Spanning the canal


One of the many small marinas


View from the walking path


Cars crossing onto the peninsula


Downtown - Traffic was backed up across the bridge onto the peninsula, so I headed to the downtown business district. I took a leisurely walk to see what I could see. It was a nice little area that seemed to be fairly thriving.


Looking east on McCulloch Blvd.


Looking west on McCulloch Blvd. with Lake Havasu in the distance


Outside the indoor shooting range


Leisurely walk downtown


Old school


I love the simple architecture of The Red Onion


The Red Onion was hopping


Gearing up for the Hot Air Balloon Festival


Balloon Festival - With traffic backed up to get onto the peninsula, I decided to go to Rotary Park and see what I could of the hot air balloons from across Thompson Bay.


Rotary Park


Rising above Havasu


Looking across Thompson Bay from Rotary Park


Kayakers viewing the hot air balloons


Random Pics -


Bi-planes buzz Lake Havasu


Looking north from the south end of the lake


Looking south from the south end of the lake


Overlook along the Colorado River, south of Lake Havasu City


More overlook


Parker Dam, south of Lake Havasu

3 comments:

Skeeter said...

Did you try the full auto guns?

Devastatin' Dave said...

I didn't. That's a sucker's game. On full auto, you can expend an entire clip in a matter of seconds.

Jack Fitzpatrick said...

Nice pictures! I wonder how old some of those buildings are? Looks like an interesting town. I don't have a car but I love to see these kinds of places in Arizona.