Sunday, February 27, 2011

Plano, TX

Czech bakery in West, TX

On Saturday morning, I made the journey from Austin to Plano to visit my friends, Dave and Kathryn. There were two stops along the way.

The first stop was in West, TX where Kathryn suggested I stop at a Czech bakery and pick up some kolaches - it's a type of fruit danish thingy. The bakery was right off I-35 and it was hopping. I got a dozen, consisting of cherry, apple, pineapple and peach.



Busy morning


Kolache menu


The 2nd stop was in Arlington, TX and the Bluegrass Heritage WinterJam. Dave and Kathryn own their own video production company and they were shooting footage for a bluegrass documentary. They allowed me to tag along and watch them in action. Great time and some great music. The documentary is on the future of bluegrass and focuses on a 16 year old guitarist named Lucas.



Location of the Bluegrass Heritage WinterJam


Lucas on stage


A bass mandolin

Bonus "Behind the Scenes" Footage - Lucas jams with Bluefield Express



Sunday in Plano - This is where it gets kind of fuzzy. I went with Dave and Kathryn to a local pub for Sunday Brunch. The Bloody Marys started about 10:30 a.m. We were joined by a group of their friends who I will now refer to as the Plano Posse. After a couple hours at the pub, someone(Kathryn) had the idea to go next door to a roof-top bar called 32ยบ. 7 hours later, we finally left after many drinks and quite a bit of food. The Plano Posse put a whoopin' on me. No other way to describe it.

No comments: